Hi Makers! I have a lovely crochet rainbow baby blanket pattern to share with you today. My favorite thing about this design is not only the rainbow stripes (because who doesn’t love a gorgeous rainbow?!?), but is actually the texture. It’s equally beautiful on both sides!
Rainbow Isles Crochet Rainbow Baby Blanket
Skill Level – easy/intermediate, advanced beginner
Tools and Materials
- 4mm crochet hook
- yarn needle
- stitch markers
- Lion Brand Truboo yarn in the colors Hot Pink, Coral, Tangerine, Marigold, Yellow, Celery, Seafoam, Thistle, and Mauve
Abbreviations (U.S. terms)
- ch – chain
- lps – loops
- sk – skip
- yo – yarn over
- st/sts – stitch(es)
- SC – single crochet
- DC – double crochet
- MC – mixed cluster stitch
Gauge and Finished Dimensions
- 9 mixed cluster sts X 15 rows = 4 inches x 4 inches
- 28 inches x 30 inches, size customization instructions listed in pattern notes
- You can customize the width of this blanket by using chaining a multiple of 2 You can customize the length by adding or subtracting repeats of rows 2 and 3.
- Mixed Cluster Stitch Instructions: yo, insert hook into 1st st, yo and draw up a loop (3 lps on hook), yo and draw through 2 lps (2 lps on hook), sk 1 st, yo, insert hook in st after skipped st and draw up a loop to stitch height (4 lps on hook), yo insert hook in same st and draw up a loop to stitch height (6 lps on hook), yo and draw through all 6 loops, ch 1
Rainbow Isles Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern
ch 132 with Hot Pink
Row 1: sc in the 3rd ch from hook, sc in each st across, ch 2, turn. Maker Tip: See Photos A and B
Row 2: MC across starting in same st as the ch-2, do not chain 1 to close the cluster at the end of the row, instead you will DC in the same st; ch 1, turn. See Photos B, C, D and E.
Row 3: (ch-1 counts as a st) sc in each st across, ch 2, turn. See Photo F.
Row 4 – 13: repeat rows 2 and 3 with Hot Pink
Row 14 – 25: repeat rows 2 and 3 with Coral
Row 26 – 37: repeat rows 2 and 3 with Tangerine
Row 38 – 49: repeat rows 2 and 3 with Marigold
Row 50 – 61: repeat rows 2 and 3 with Yellow
Row 62 – 73: repeat rows 2 and 3 with Celery
Row 74 – 85: repeat rows 2 and 3 with Seafoam
Row 86 – 97: repeat rows 2 and 3 with Thistle
Row 98 – 109: repeat rows 2 and 3 with Mauve
Fasten off and weave in all ends.
Love Life Yarn has a wonderful video tutorial for the mixed cluster stitch (below). Note: At the end of the cluster row, she works an HDC. I used a DC because I found that using an HDC caused that edge to be too tight.
Follow me on your favorite social media channels!
Pin the image below to save this project for later!