Reversible Crochet Beanie
Hey there maker friends. How are you?
Today, I am excited to be sharing my Reversible Crochet Beanie pattern. This simple and fun pattern has 2 slightly different looks on each side, uses the mattress stitch to seam the beanie and an ultimate finish inspired top closure which gives it a truly reversible look.
This post may contain affiliate links and I may earn a small commission when you click on the links at no additional cost to you. I will only link to products that I know and love. See my full disclosure here.
The Perfect Reversible Crochet Beanie Pattern
Skill Level – easy, advanced beginner
Tools and Materials
- 5mm crochet hook
- yarn needle
- 225 yards worsted weight (size 4) yarn; yarn pictured is Brooklyn Boy Knits, 100% Superwash Merino Wool, Colorway: Concrete Jungle
Crochet Abbreviations (US terms)
- ch – chain
- st/sts – stitch(es)
- sk – skip
- sp – space
- SC – single crochet
- HDC – half double crochet
- Modified HDC – modified half double crochet
Click HERE to purchase the PDF version of the Reversible Beanie pattern from Ravelry!
Gauge and Finished Dimensions
- 15 sts X 12 rows = 4 inches x 4 inches
- Beanie is 8.5″ from top to bottom 20″ around. See pattern notes for size customization.
- Turning chains do not count as stitches.
- Beanie is crocheted as a rectangle, then seamed to finish.
- In this project, rows that are slightly slanting is normal. The beanie panel will need to be blocked into a rectangle before seaming.
- You can customize the circumference by adding or removing the Repeat Rows.
- You can customize the height of the beanie by chaining a different multiple of 2. If customizing the height, the brim portion will remain 7 sts. The stitch count on the top of the beanie will change based on the number of foundation chains.
Modified Half Double Crochet instructions – yo, insert hook into front horizontal bar AND front loop, yo, pull up a loop, yo, draw through 3 loops
Reversible Beanie – A 2in1 Crochet Beanie
Row 1: Starting in the 2nd ch from the hook, HDC in each st across. Ch1. Turn. (33)
Row 2: Modified HDC in each of the first 7 sts. *Ch 1, sk 1, SC 1. Repeat from * across. Ch 1. Turn. (33) See Photo A
Row 3: HDC in each of the next 26 sts (SC’s and ch’s). Modified HDC in each of the last 7 sts. Ch 1. Turn. (33)
Rows 4 – 59: Repeat Rows 2 and 3.
Cut yarn leaving a long tail for seaming the side and top, fasten off.
Wet block panel into a rectangle shape before seaming.
Mattress stitch the foundation chain to the final row to form a tube.
Whipstitch around the top opening placing the whipstitches approximately 1/2 inches apart.
Pull seaming thread to tighten whipstitches and gather top.
If there is still a remaining open hole at the top of the beanie, then you can sew a couple of stitches across the hole to form an X shape. Weave in end around the top stitches several times to secure.
Thought you might like these FREE patterns….
Follow me on your favorite social media channels!
Ravelry Store Julie at OneLittleHook
Pin the image below to save this project for later!