Simple Tunisian Crochet Cable Ear Warmer
Hi Friends! I have a fun and simple Tunisian crochet cable ear warmer pattern for you today. I’m so pumped about this design because it’s a perfect way to try out some Tunisian crochet cables and make something fab at the same time. Let’s get started!
This post may contain affiliate links and I may earn a small commission when you click on the links at no additional cost to you. I will only link to products that I know and love. See my full disclosure here.
Simple Tunisian Crochet Cable Ear Warmer
Skill Level – easy – practiced beginner
Tools and Materials
- 10mm Tunisian crochet hook with 4 inch cord and end stopper (These are my FAVORITE Tunisian crochet hooks)
- additional Tunisian crochet hook in comparable size without cord and end stopper (used to create the cable twists)
- yarn needle
- 53 yards Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick, Fisherman pictured
On March 11, 2023 this Tunisian crochet cable ear warmer will be part of the #31daysofcrochetchallenge hosted by Stardust Gold Crochet. As part of this crochet blog hop challenge you will get the opportunity to download this pattern PDF for FREE. Visit Stardust Gold for the code, then come on back here and click on the download pattern button here on One Little Hook.
Abbreviations (U.S. terms)
- ch – chain
- yo – yarn over
- st/sts – stitch(es)
- sl st – slip stitch
- TSS – Tunisian Simple Stitch
- Return – work a return pass
See Pattern Notes for stitch instructions.
- 9 sts X 7 rows = 4 inches x 4 inches
Pattern Notes and Finished Dimensions
- 4.25 inches wide x 21 around (has about 1.5 inches of stretch)
- When working the first stitch in each row be sure to pull tight on the working yarn to prevent the right edge of your work from becoming too loose.
- When working the last stitch in each row be sure to pull up your last loop a little more loosely than the rest of the stitches in this row to prevent the left edge of your work from becoming too tight.
- You can customize the circumference of this ear warmer by adding or subtracting rows. I recommend that you add/remove an even number of rows, placing one added/subtracted row each in the section before the cable row and one in the section after the cable row to ensure the seam stays in the center-back of the ear warmer.
- Return Instructions: yo, draw through 1 loop, * yo, draw through 2 loops, repeat from * across until you are left with 1 loop on your hook
- Tunisian Simple Stitch Instructions: holding yarn in back of the work, insert hook, yo, draw up a loop
Click HERE to purchase the PDF version of the Tunisian Twist Ear Warmer pattern on Ravelry.
Sarah Brotnov (@sarahsuehowdoyoudo) gives a wonderful tutorial of how to work TSS cables stitches in the video below. Please note that she works purl stitches before and after her cables. The Tunisian Twist Ear Warmer does NOT use purl stitches.
Tunisian Twist Simple Tunisian Crochet Cable Ear Warmer Pattern
Row 1: Starting in the 2nd ch from the hook and working into the back bump, draw up a loop; repeat in each st across. Return.
Row 2: Starting in the 2nd vertical bar, work a TSS into each st across. Return.
Rows 3 – 16: Repeat Row 2
Row 17 (cable row): Skip 4 sts, TSS into each of the next 4 sts, hold work on hook, using extra hook and working behind the 4 sts you just made, TSS into each of the 4 skipped sts, hold these 4 loops in front of your work, then transfer them onto your working hook. TSS in the last st. Return. See cable row photo tutorial below.
Row 18 – 19: Repeat Row 2
Row 20 (cable row): Repeat Row 15
Rows 21 – 35: Repeat Row 2
Row 36 (sl st bind off): Starting in the 2nd vertical bar, * insert hook, yo, pull through both loops on hook, repeat from * across
Cut yarn leaving a long tail for sewing and fasten off.
Thread the long tail onto your tapestry needle and sew the short ends of the ear warmer together using the mattress stitch.
Weave in ends.
I thought you might enjoy these FREE patterns…
1. The Simple Tunisian Ear Warmer
2. The Jamie Beanie, A Tunisian Knit Stitch Beanie
Follow me on your favorite social media channels!
Ravelry Store Julie at OneLittleHook
Pin the image below to save this project for later!