I recently learned this gorgeous Tunisian crochet honeycomb stitch and knew instantly I wanted to create a cowl to show it off!
It’s so much more simple to create than you might even think! Just 2 stitches and a 2 row repeat. Easy, peasy, right?
Join me in the YarnHookNeedles Tunisian crochet club on Facebook to learn this stitch and so many more! Plus you’ll have access to free Tunisian crochet pattern PDF’s! Click HERE to learn more!
Tunisian Crochet Cowl
Tools and Materials
- 9mm Tunisian crochet hook
- 18″ cord & end stopper
- yarn needle
- 1 Skein Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick (Fisherman and Mustard are pictured)
- ch – chain
- yo – yarn over
- st/sts – stitch(es)
- Tss – Tunisian simple stitch
- Tps – Tunisian purl stitch
- Return – work a return pass
Gauge and Finished Dimensions
- 9 sts X 7 rows = 4 inches x 4 inches (worked in pattern’s stitch)
- 13 inches x 7 inches measured flat, 27 inch circumference measured around the outside while laying flat
Skill Level – easy, advanced beginner
- You can adjust the circumference by adding or substracting in multiples of 2.
- You can adjust the height by adding or substracting rows.
- See photos below for tips on how to mark your stitches. Don’t remove your stitch markers until you’ve finished row 13 which helps you keep track of your rows which is especially helpful if you have to set the project down and come back to it later.
- Return Instructions: yo, draw through 1 loop, * yo, draw through 2 loops, repeat from * across until you are left with 1 loop on your hook
- Tunisian Simple Stitch Instructions: holding yarn in back of the work, insert hook, yo, draw up a loop
- Tunisian Purl Stitch Instructions: holding yarn in front of the work, insert hook, move working yarn to the back, yo, draw up a loop
I used a green stitch marker to keep track of my rows that begin with TSS
I used a pink stitch marker to keep track of my rows that begin with TPS.
Honeycomb Tunisian Crochet Cowl Pattern
Row 1: Starting in the 2nd ch from the hook and working into the back bump, draw up a loop; repeat in each st across. Return.
Row 2: Starting in the 2nd vertical bar, work a * Tps, Tss into the next st, repeat from * across, end with a Tss in the last st regardless of what st was worked in the st prior. Return.
Row 3: Starting in the 2nd vertical bar, work a * Tss, Tps into the next st, repeat from * across, end with a Tss in the last st regardless of what st was worked in the st prior. Return.
Row 4 – 11: Repeat rows 2 and 3
Row 12: repeat row 2
Row 13: Starting in the 2nd vertical bar, * insert hook, yo, pull through both loops on hook, repeat from * across
Cut yarn leaving a long tail for sewing and fasten off.
Thread the long tail onto your tapestry needle and sew the short ends of the cowl together using the mattress stitch.
Weave in ends.
Follow me on your favorite social media channels!
Pin the image below to save this project for later!