Oh hi there my maker friends! I have a fun and simple Tunisian knit stitch beanie crochet pattern for you today. I love this design because it is literally super easy, super cozy, can be customized for any size, and is perfect for guys and gals.
Jamie Beanie – A Tunisian Knit Stitch Beanie
Skill Level – easy, practiced beginner
Tools and Materials
- 12mm Tunisian crochet hook with 12-inch cord and end stopper
- yarn needle
- 1 skein Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick, Fisherman color pictured
- scrap amount of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick, Mustard color pictured
Abbreviations (U.S. terms)
- ch – chain
- yo – yarn over
- st/sts – stitch/stitches
- TKS – Tunisian knit stitch
- TKS2TOG – Tunisian knit stitch two together
- TPS – Tunisian purl stitch
- Return – work a return pass
- (see pattern notes for Tunisian stitch instructions)
Gauge and Finished Dimensions
- 8 sts x 11 rows = 4 inches x 4 inches
- 20 inches in circumference unstretched. This beanie has about 2 inches of stretch and is written for the average adult women’s size head. Size customization instructions are given in pattern notes.
- This beanie is worked flat (brim to top), then cinched at the top and seamed closed.
- To customize the circumference of the beanie, add or subtract 2 sts per inch from your starting chain.
- To customize the height of the beanie (like if you were making it for a child), remove 2 rows per inch. I recommend removing rows 4, 9, and 15 (3 rows total).
- To make this beanie more of a slouchy style, work an additional repeat of rows 5 – 8.
- Return/Return Pass Instructions: yo, draw through 1 loop, * yo, draw through 2 loops, repeat from * across until you are left with 1 loop on your hook
- Tunisian Knit Stitch Instructions: insert hook from front to back between the front and back vertical bars (your hook will go in on the right side of the stitch and exit the back of the work on the left side of the stitch), yo, pull up a loop
- Tunisian Knit Stitch Two Together Instructions (a photo tutorial is below): insert hook into first vertical bar Tunisian Simple Stitch-wise, insert hook into second stitch Tunisian Knit Stitch-wise, yo, pull through 2 loops
- Tunisian Purl Stitch Instructions: holding yarn in front of the work, insert hook, move working yarn to the back, yo, draw up a loop
Check out this tutorial from HappyBerry Crochet for video instructions on how to work the Tunisian knit stitch and Tunisian purl stitch.
Watch this video from Crocheting With Alex for a visual tutorial on how to crochet the TKS2TOG.
Jamie Beanie – A Tunisian Knit Stitch Crochet Beanie
Chain 36 (with main color) for standard adult women’s size. See pattern notes for customization instructions.
Row 1: Starting in the 2nd ch from the hook and working into the back bump, draw up a loop; repeat in each st across. Return.
Row 2 – 4: *TKS in each of the first 2 sts, TPS in each of the next 2 sts; repeat from * across until the end. Return.
Row 5 – 7: TKS in each st across. Return.
Row 8: (with contrasting color) TKS in each st across. Return.
Maker Tip: Changing yarn color in this pattern works similar to color changes in traditional crochet. The exception being that you can work the Tunisian Knit Stitch return pass in the contrasting color OR the main color. If you aren’t sure if you will have enough scrap yarn to work all of the contrasting color rows, then I suggest working the return rows in the main color.
Row 9 – 12: (with main color) TKS in each st across. Return.
Row 13: (with contrasting color) TKS in each st across. Return.
Row 14: (with main color) TKS2TOG, *TKS in each of the next 15 sts, TKS2TOG*, repeat * to * until 16 or fewer sts remain, TKS in each st until end. Return.
Row 15: TKS in each st across. Return.
Row 16: TKS2TOG, *TKS in each of the next 7 sts, TKS2TOG*, repeat * to * until 8 or fewer sts remain, TKS in each st until end. Return.
Row 17: TKS in each st across. Return.
Row 18: (with contrasting color) TKS2TOG, *TKS in each of the next 5 sts, TKS2TOG*, repeat * to * until 6 or fewer sts remain, TKS in each st until end. Return.
Rows 19: (with main color) TKS2TOG, *TKS in each of the next 2 sts, TKS2TOG*, repeat from * to * until 3 or fewer sts remain, TKS in each st until end. Return.
DO NOT WORK A SLIP STITCH BIND OFF ROW.
Cut yarn leaving a long tail for sewing and fasten off.
Maker Tip: Use stitch markers to mark the first and last stitch of the last row. This will help keep your rows aligned when seaming the body of the hat together.
Thread the long tail onto your tapestry needle and weave through the top of each stitch in row 19. Pull gently to cinch the top closed.
Continue seaming by using the mattress stitch to seam the body of the beanie closed working from the top of the beanie down towards the brim.
Weave in ends. Cut any excess yarn.
Add pom if desired.
Follow me on your favorite social media channels!
Pin the image below to save this project for later!